4 servings / 20 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 10 min
Change up the broccoli with a bunch of rapini or 3 cups (750 mL) of frozen peas will do the trick too.
- 1 box (375 g) whole wheat fusilli or rotini pasta
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) no salt added vegetable broth
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) lentils, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot of water, cook pasta for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for 3 minutes or until pasta is tender but firm. Drain well and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning and hot pepper flakes for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add broth and lentils; bring to a simmer.
- Toss sauce with pasta to coat and serve. Sprinkle with cheese, if using.
Tip: If your family doesn’t like too much heat just reduce the hot pepper flakes to a pinch.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 501
- Protein 25 g
- Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 99 g
Fibre 14 g
Total sugars 8 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 286 mg
- Potassium 842 mg