5 servings / 25 min
Prep 5 min / Cook 20 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
- 2 cups (500 mL) sodium-reduced vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) aji amarillo (or mild chili) paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lime juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion, diced
- Rinse quinoa well under cool water in fine sieve or several changes of water. Drain well. In large pot, boil vegetable broth and quinoa over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook quinoa until tender but still firm to bite, about 15 minutes. It’s done when germ separates, making it look like a curly “Q”. Drain well and return quinoa to pot off heat. Cover with tea towel and replace lid, allowing it to steam and producing fluffy quinoa as it cools.
- For dressing: To food processor, add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- If using fresh peas, bring medium-size pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add peas and cook about 5 minutes. Strain and rinse with cold water to cool. If using frozen, skip this step.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cooled quinoa, peas, beans, celery, red onion and dressing. Mix until dressing is distributed evenly and serve. May be prepared one day ahead.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 5)
- Calories 170
- Protein 6 g
- Total fat 7 g
Saturated fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 21 g
Fibre 4 g
Sugars 3 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 230 mg
- Potassium 136 mg