4 servings / 1 hour 15 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 1 hour
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each pearl barley and green lentils
- 3 cups (750 mL) hot low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) petite cut stewed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) crumbled feta (optional)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Lightly spray a deep 10 cup (2.5 L) casserole dish; set aside. Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, thyme and hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring for about 6 minutes or until softened. Stir in barley and lentils to coat. Scrape into prepared casserole dish. Pour in broth and stir to combine. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover and return to oven for about 15 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed; stir gently.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs, feta, if using, parsley and remaining oil. Sprinkle over casserole, leave uncovered and broil for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 340
- Protein 11 g
- Total fat 9 g
Saturated fat 0.5 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 g
- Carbohydrates 59 g
Fibre 11 g
Sugars 14 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 420 mg
- Potassium 950 mg