6 servings / 50 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 30 min
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 tub (10 oz/300 g) baby kale or baby spinach and kale mix
- 1 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) buttermilk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each chopped chives and dill
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped parsley (optional)
- 2 trout fillets (about 680 g total)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) shaved parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss chickpeas with 2 tsp (10 mL) of the oil and chili powder. Spread onto prepared pan and roast for about 20 minutes or until golden and slightly crisp. Set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, using your hands, rub kale with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining oil with buttermilk, vinegar and hot pepper flakes. Stir in chives, dill and parsley if using. Remove 2 tbsp (25 mL) and spread over trout fillets.
- Place trout on baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes or until fish flakes when tested.
- Toss remaining dressing with kale and chickpeas. Toss in parmesan and divide among 6 dinner plates. Top each salad with a piece of trout to serve.
Tip: If using regular kale leaves, remove tough stem and chop kale into bite size pieces. Increase lemon juice to 2 tbsp (30 mL).
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 320
- Protein 29 g
- Total fat 12 g
Saturated fat 3 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
- Carbohydrates 22 g
Fibre 5 g
Sugars 1 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 160 mg
- Potassium 800 mg