6 servings / 1 hr 15 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 1 hr
Prepare the wild rice up to 2 days in advance to make quick work of this gorgeous salad. A perfect accompaniment to any grilled or roasted meat, also a lovely side in a packed lunch. Serve warm or cold.
- ½ cup (125 mL) wild rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) celery, diced
- ½ cup (125 mL) cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) green onion, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen blackberries, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) toasted pecans, chopped
- In a large saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes, until grains have started to pop. Remove from heat with lid still on and allow to stand for 30-60 minutes until desired texture is achieved. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, celery, cucumber and green onion.
- Prepare dressing: Whisk well or use blender to combine ¼ cup (50 mL) of the blackberries, red wine vinegar, canola oil, sugar and pepper.
- When ready to serve, in a large bowl or individual plates, place rice mixture on bottom, sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup (50 mL) blackberries, pecans and drizzle attractively with dressing.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cup/250 ml)
- Calories 130
- Protein 3 g
- Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 16 g
Fibre 2 g
Total sugars 3 g
Added sugar 1 g
- Sodium 10 mg
- Potassium 135 mg