4 servings / 40 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 20 min
Lemon brightens the flavour of kale and cooking in parchment keeps the chicken moist and tender.
- 250 mL (1 cup) water
- 1 L (4 cups) chopped fresh kale leaves, ribs removed
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- Half red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) grated lemon rind
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) finely crumbled feta cheese
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh dill or 10 mL (2 tsp) dried dill weed
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 500 g/1 lb)
- In large nonstick skillet bring water and kale to boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until wilted and bright green. Drain well and return to skillet.
- Add oil, pepper and garlic and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until pepper is tender crisp. Stir in lemon rind and juice; set aside.
- In small bowl, mash together feta and dill; set aside.
- Using chef’s knife cut chicken in half horizontally almost all the way through. Open it like a book and press down gently to flatten and make it more even. Fill each centre with some of the kale mixture and place each stuffed chicken breast onto 4 large pieces of parchment or foil. Sprinkle each chicken breast with feta mixture.
- Fold parchment paper over and fold up edges to form a seal. Place on large baking sheet and roast in 220°C (425°F) oven for 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Let stand 2 minutes before serving.
Tip: Kale has firm, tough ribs or stems so be sure to remove them before chopping the tender leaves for this recipe.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories: 216
- Protein: 32 g
- Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 80 mg
- Carbohydrate: 9 g
Fibre: 2 g
Sugar: 2 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 192 mg
- Potassium: 687 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.