4-6 servings / 30 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 15 min
This fresh gingery soup is a perfect start to springtime – great to begin a meal or on its own with a crisp salad and a whole grain bun.
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 2 large
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 box (900 mL) sodium reduced chicken broth
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat or regular orzo pasta
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh asparagus
- Using chef’s knife, cut chicken into bite size piece and place in bowl. Add ginger, parsley, garlic and pepper and toss to coat well.
- In small soup pot or saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat and cook chicken mixture, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Stir in red pepper to combine.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo and asparagus and simmer for about 8 minutes or until orzo is tender and chicken is no longer pink inside.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories: 296
- Protein: 35 g
- Total Fat: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 67 mg
- Carbohydrate: 30 g
Fibre: 4 g
Sugars: 3 g
Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 595 mg
- Potassium: 704 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.