6 servings / 1 hr 45 min
Prep 30 min / Cook 1 hr 15 min
Enjoy these kale rolls as a family and then pack leftovers for lunch if there are any! Use the larger leaves for easier rolling but not to worry if the sizes vary, just another sign of them being homemade.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown basmati rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried rosemary leaves
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) extra lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 8 large kale leaves without stems, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) passata (strained tomatoes)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- In a saucepan bring rice, broth, garlic and rosemary to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Scrape into a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Stir in turkey, parsley, cheese and vinegar; combine well.
- Lay out kale leaves, darker side down. Divide turkey mixture among kale leaves depending on size of leaf. Starting at the widest part of the kale leaf, roll up, tucking in the sides if possible so mixture is covered.
- Spread 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the passata among bottom of an 8 inch (2 L) casserole dish and place the kale rolls seam side down in dish. Top with remaining passata and water. Cover with foil and bake in 400 F (200 C) oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until kale is tender and sauce is thickened.
Nutritional info per serving (1 roll)
- Calories: 248
- Protein: 18 g
- Total Fat: 0 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 52 mg
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
Fibre: 4 g
Total sugars: 6 g
Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 360 mg
- Potassium: 763 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2014.