6 servings / 45 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 30 min
- 6 eggs
- sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 cups (1 L) assorted mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake and oyster, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) barley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped asparagus, blanched
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Pour broth into saucepan set over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low to maintain heat. Heat oil in Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, rosemary and mushrooms. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until browned. Add barley, garlic and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or until well coated and fragrant.
- Ladle in 1 cup (250 mL) broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Continue to add all but 1/2 cup (125 mL) of broth, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time and stirring constantly, for 20 to 25 minutes or until barley is tender but still slightly toothsome in the centre. Stir in asparagus, reserved 1/2 cup broth (125 mL) and parsley. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Adjust pepper to taste, if desired.
- Meanwhile, fill saucepan with about 3 inches (8 cm) of water. Heat until water simmers gently. Break cold egg into small dish or saucer. Holding dish just above simmering water, gently slip egg into water. Repeat for remaining eggs. Cook in barely simmering water for 3 to 5 minutes or until white is set and yolk is cooked to desired level of doneness. Remove eggs with slotted spoon. Drain well on paper towel. Place over each portion of barley.
Tip: To blanch asparagus, drop into rapidly boiling, salted water for 1 minute. Drain and immediately plunge into ice water.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 337
- Protein 14 g
- Total fat 11 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 193 mg
- Carbohydrates 46 g
Sugar 4 g
Added sugars 1 g
Fibre 10 g
- Sodium 164 mg
- Potassium 459 mg