6 servings / 1 hr 25 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 1 hr 10 min
Barley is a whole, high-fibre grain packed with nutritional value. Barley appeals to kids because of its soft texture. This recipe freezes well.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced celery
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced carrot
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ lb (250 g) chicken breast chopped into bite-sized pieces (about 1 large breast)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) oregano
- ½ cup (125 mL) barley, rinsed
- * 2 cups (500 mL) 25% sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, celery and carrots until onions are soft. About 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and chicken and cook until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Add oregano, barley, stock and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.
- Season with black pepper and serve.
Nutritional info per serving (3/4 cup / 175 ml)
- Calories: 143
- Protein: 11 g
- Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 22 mg
- Carbohydrate: 21 g
Dietary fibre: 3 g
- Sodium: 183 mg
- Potassium: 395 mg
Recipe developed by Nadine Day, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2009.