6 servings / 5 min
Prep 5 min / Cook 0 min
A perfect way to use summer-ripened tomatoes, this refreshing salad is versatile enough to enjoy for lunch, on a picnic, or dinner on the patio with family and friends. Serve it over lettuce leaves for added colour and crunch.
- 2 pints (1 L) grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (each 120 g drained weight) light flaked tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped cucumber
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh oregano
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, celery, tuna and cucumber.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes. Pour over tomato mixture along with basil and oregano and toss to coat well.
- Older kids can help to slice tomatoes and celery, drain tuna and chop cucumber. Little chefs can whisk the dressing together.
- For the best tasting tomatoes, store them at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Putting them in the fridge results in a mealy texture.
- No grape tomatoes on hand? No worries. Dice up 4 tomatoes instead.
- Try this salad using canned salmon instead of tuna, or use leftover cooked fish.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 90
- Protein 12 g
- Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
- Carbohydrates 6 g
Fibre 2 g
Added sugars 0g
- Sodium 116 mg
- Potassium 458 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2014.