4 servings / 40 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 25 min
- ½ lb (250 g) jumbo prawns, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cooking sherry
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch, divided
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated ginger root
- ½ cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- ½ tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) low sodium soy sauce
- ½ lb (250 g) bok choy, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh mushrooms or 6-8 dried shiitake mushrooms*
- In large bowl, toss prawns with cooking sherry and ½ tbsp (7 mL) cornstarch.
- In wok or large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add ginger and stir fry for about 1 minute. Add prawns and stir fry until pink. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- In small bowl or cup, mix together chicken broth, sugar, soy sauce and remaining cornstarch.
- If needed, add a little more canola oil to the pan, add the bok choy and mushrooms. Stir fry for about 3 minutes. Return prawns and add chicken broth mixture. Serve hot from pan over steamed rice or noodles, if desired.
NOTE: *If using dried whole mushrooms (available affordably in the ethnic aisle), place in a bowl and cover with boiling water and allow to stand for at least 20 minutes. When rehydrated, chop in halves or quarters.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 270
- Protein 24 g
- Total fat 10 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
- Carbohydrates 16 g
Fibre 2 g
Sugars 9 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 90 mg
- Potassium 686 mg