3 servings / 50 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 30 min
These are a wonderful appetizer, lunch or dinner to share with friends. Make them ahead and cook them when you are ready to serve. Serve over a bed of arugula or baby spinach for added texture and colour.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 12 oz/360 g)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cod loins or fillets (about 8 oz/227 g)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) panko breadcrumbs, toasted
- In a small pot, cover potatoes with water and boil for about 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain well and mash with potato masher; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in nonstick skillet. Cook shallots, garlic and thyme for about 2 minutes or until softened. Add cod and wine; cover and cook for 2 minutes. Uncover and cook; breaking up cod for about 3 minutes or until cooked through and flaked. Stir in parsley and hot pepper flakes. Scrape into a bowl and add mashed potatoes; combine evenly using your hands. Shape into 6 patties or ovals.
- Dredge patties in flour, then egg letting excess drip off. Coat in breadcrumbs and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in 425° F (220° C) oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
Tip: To toast breadcrumbs place in a dry nonstick skillet over medium low heat and cook, stirring until evenly light golden brown.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 3, or 2 croquettes)
- Calories 247
- Protein 18 g
- Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
- Carbohydrates 31 g
Fibre 2 g
Total sugars 2 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 89 mg
- Potassium 560 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2016.