12 servings / 50 minutes
Prep 20 min / Cook 30 min
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain 1 or 2% yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 bag (600 g) frozen mixed berries
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) orange juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each water and cornstarch
- In a saucepan, combine berries, orange juice and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes or until berries are soft.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. Stir into berries and cook for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat to cool. (Make-ahead: cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat and all-purpose flours, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil, lemon zest, egg and egg white. Stir into flour mixture until combined. Pour into and 8-inch (20 cm) parchment paper lined round baking pan. Bake in preheated 350 F (160 C) oven for about 20 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for about 15 minutes before removing from cake pan.
- Cut into wedges and spoon berry sauce over top to serve.
Tip: If lemons are small you will need about 2 to get 1 tbsp (15 mL) of rind for the recipe.
Using a Greek or thick yogurt for this recipe may produce a heavier cake. Look for a plain yogurt that has 1 or 2% MF for best results.
Cake can be covered and kept at room temperature for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 weeks.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 12)
- Calories 170
- Protein 4 g
- Total fat 6 g
- Saturated fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 28 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 13 g
- Added sugars 8 g
- Sodium 125 mg
- Potassium 275 mg