26 servings / 25 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 15 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) large flake oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) wheat bran
- ¾ cup (175 mL) whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) non-hydrogenated soft margarine
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) orange juice
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated orange rind
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped dried cranberries or currants
- In a bowl, whisk together oats, bran, flour, baking soda and cinnamon; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat sugar, margarine, egg whites, orange juice, vanilla and orange rind until smooth. Add oat mixture to bowl and stir until combined. Add cranberries and stir to combine.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) on parchment paper lined baking sheet and flatten slightly. Bake in 375 F (190 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until firm and golden. Repeat with remaining dough. Let cool on rack.
Storage: Keep in airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cookie)
- Calories: 85
- Protein: 2 g
- Total Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 15 g
- Fibre: 2 g
- Total sugars: 7 g
- Added sugars: 5 g
- Sodium: 47 mg
- Potassium: 90 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.