9 servings / 40 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 30 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) rolled barley flakes or large flake oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped almonds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) each flax and sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground cardamom and nutmeg
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
- 2 egg whites
- In a bowl, stir together flakes, quinoa, almonds, flax and sunflower seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, oil, vanilla, cardamom and nutmeg. Pour over flake mixture and stir to coat well. Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in 325° F (160° C) oven for about 20 minutes, stirring once until golden. Let cool completely on sheet. Stir in cranberries.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks. Stir in granola mixture to coat. Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet into a 10 x 12 inch (25 x 30 cm) rectangle.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300° F (150° C) and bake for about 10 minutes or until set. Let cool completely. Break into pieces or crumble to serve.
Tip: Can be stored in jars or sealed containers for up to 1 week.
Nutritional info per serving (1/3 cup)
- Calories: 205
- Protein: 5 g
- Total fat: 6 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 16 mg
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fibre: 4 g
- Sugars: 5 g
- Added sugars: 4 g
- Sodium: 16 mg
- Potassium: 205 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2016.