18 pancakes / 25 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 15 minServe alongside your favourite protein.
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 mL) buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soft non hydrogenated margarine, melted or canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 large apple, cored and grated (about 1 cup/250 mL)
- 1 large carrot, grated (about 1 cup/250 mL)
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat and all-purpose flours, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, butter and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture along with apple and carrot and stir until combined.
- Spray large nonstick skillet or griddle with some cooking spray and place over medium high heat. Pour batter using 50 mL (1/4 cup) measure and spread out slightly to form pancakes. Cook until bubbles begin to appear on top, about 3 minutes. Flip over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to plate and repeat with remaining batter.
Tip: If you want to add extra apples to your pancakes use this easy Cinnamon apple topping. In a nonstick skillet, melt 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter over medium heat. Add 2 large apples, cored and sliced with 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon; cover and cook for about 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until tender but firm; keep warm.
Nutritional info per serving (2 pancakes)
- Calories 205
- Protein 7 g
- Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 43 mg
- Carbohydrates 32 g
Fibre 3 g
Total sugars 11 g
Added sugars 4 g
- Sodium 211 mg
- Potassium 218 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2015.