12 muffins / 25 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 15 minGreat for a grab and go breakfast or for a snack.
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 1 cup (250 mL) pitted prunes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) wheat germ
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh blueberries
- In a food processor or small food chopper, puree 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the buttermilk with prunes until prunes are in very small pieces and mixture is thickened. Pulse in oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, ginger, baking powder and soda. Pour buttermilk mixture over top and remaining buttermilk and stir gently to combine. Fold in blueberries.
- Scoop batter into greased or paper lined muffins tins and bake in 375 °F (190 °C) oven for about 15 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean.
Tip: These muffins can be made ahead up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 week. Wrap individually and freeze or store in the refrigerator. Pop the muffin in the microwave to warm through if desired.
Nutritional info per serving (1 muffin)
- Calories 121
- Protein 3 g
- Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
- Carbohydrates 20 g
Fibre 3 g
Total sugar 8 g
Added sugar 0 g
- Sodium 139 mg
- Potassium 202 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2014.