12 servings / 30 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 20 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh strawberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and cinnamon; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg whites and sugar until well combined. Stir in bananas, applesauce and oil. Pour over flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Stir in strawberries.
- Divide batter among 12 greased or paper lined muffin tins. Bake in 375° F (190° C) oven for about 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean when tested.
Nutritional info per serving (1 muffin)
- Calories 169
- Protein 4 g
- Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 30 g
Fibre 4 g
Total sugars 11 g
Added sugars 3 g
- Sodium 116 mg
- Potassium 249 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2015.