8 servings / 20 min
Prep 5 min / Cook 15 min
These roasted figs are delicious on their own with a little goat cheese or ricotta with some whole grain bread. Or try them in a salad or simply on top of yogurt with some granola. The natural sweetness and fibre are a delicious combination.
- 8 fresh ripe black figs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) liquid local honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sliced hazelnuts or almonds
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) crumbled goat cheese or ricotta (optional)
- Cut figs in half almost all the way, leaving them still attached on one side. Place them open slightly in small casserole dish.
- Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with hazelnuts. Bake in 375° F (190° C) oven for about 15 minutes or until nuts are light golden and juices start to release from figs. Remove from oven and sprinkle with goat cheese if using.
Apricot variation: Use 8 large fresh apricots for the figs.
Tip: Enjoy warm or cold. Wrap leftovers with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutritional info per serving (1 bar)
- Calories 101
- Protein 1 g
- Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 24 g
Fibre 3 g
Total sugars 21 g
Added sugars 4 g
- Sodium 1 mg
- Potassium 247 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2015