10 servings / 1 hour 5 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 50 min
Thai sweet potato bisque:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 inches (2.5 to 3.8 cm) fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (5-cm) pieces
- 1 small chile pepper or jalapeño, chopped
- 4 cups (1L) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) curry powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground red pepper
- 14 oz (400 g) extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cilantro, chopped
Parmesan whole-wheat crostini:
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 slices fresh, crusty whole-wheat bread or baguette
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Parmesan cheese
Thai sweet potato bisque
- In large stockpot, heat canola oil over high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, chile pepper and vegetable broth and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender (35-40 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool slightly. Transfer to blender in batches, and purée until smooth. Return to stockpot and add coconut milk, lime juice, curry powder and red pepper; stir well to blend.
- Add tofu and cook another 10 minutes over medium heat, gently stirring once or twice.
- Garnish soup with cilantro and serve with Parmesan whole-wheat crostini.
Parmesan whole-wheat crostini
- In small bowl, combine canola oil and garlic. Brush bread slices equally with mixture.
- Sprinkle equally with Parmesan cheese and broil 3 to 5 minutes until toasted.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cup /250 mL and one slice crostini)
- Calories 140
- Protein 5 g
- Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 18 g
Fibre 3 g
Sugars 5 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 110 mg
- Potassium 311 mg