10 servings / 25 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 15 min
Pearl couscous looks just like that … pearls! These tender bits of pasta are tossed with crunchy red peppers and cucumber, white beans, feta, a generous amount of herbs and a splash of fresh lemon.
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) uncooked whole wheat or regular pearl couscous
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 can (15-oz/426 mL) no-salt-added navy or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil over high heat. Stir in couscous, return to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain in fine mesh sieve and run under cold water to cool completely. Shake off excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine pepper, cucumber, onion, spinach, beans, rosemary, garlic, canola oil, lemon zest and juice, vinegar and pepper.
- Stir in couscous and toss until well blended. Gently stir in feta.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 10)
- Calories 120
- Protein 5 g
- Total fat 4.5 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
- Carbohydrates 16 g
Fibre 4 g
Sugars 2 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 150 mg
- Potassium 115 mg