4 to 6 servings / 25 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 15 min
If using your own cooked beans you will need about 4 cups (1 L).
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 each large celery stalk and carrot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 mL each) no salt added white beans, drained and rinsed well
- 4 cups (1 L) no salt added beef broth
- 1 tub (142 g) baby kale or spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic and hot pepper flakes to coat.
- Add white beans and broth; bring to a simmer. Stir in kale and cook for about 5 minutes or until wilted and heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese to serve.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories: 280
- Protein: 16 g
- Total fat: 4.5 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
Fibre: 12 g
Sugars: 4 g
Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 190 mg
- Potassium: 900 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2019.