6-8 servings/10 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 0 min
This tangy and slightly spicy slaw is a great way to spark up those winter night’s dinners. Fresh mint adds zip to this mixture while the cranberries and carrot add a touch of sweetness.
- 4 cups (1 L) thinly sliced cabbage (about 1/2 a small cabbage)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each granulated sugar and celery seed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 large apple
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh mint
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, carrot and cranberries; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, celery seed, hot pepper sauce and pepper. Drizzle over cabbage mixture and add walnuts.
- Grate apple and add to salad. Sprinkle with mint and toss well to coat.
Tip: If your family doesn’t enjoy a little heat reduce the hot pepper sauce to 1/4 tsp (1 mL) or omit it entirely.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 101
- Protein 2 g
- Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 16 g
Fibre 3 g
Total sugars 11 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 30 mg
- Potassium 209 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2015.