6 servings / 1 hour 35 min
Prep 5 min / Cook 1 hour 30 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown French lentils
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) long-grain white rice
- 5 cups (1.25 L) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 2 large yellow onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- In medium saucepan, add lentils and fill pan halfway with water. Rinse lentils by rubbing them between your fingertips. Water will become cloudy; drain it. Repeat three or four times, until water remains relatively clear then drain. Now add rice and 5 cups (1.25 L) water. Bring water to boil over medium-high heat. Skim off and discard any foam that may form on surface. Stir in coriander and cumin. Lower heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until rice and lentils are soft and creamy in texture, similar to cooked risotto, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet or wok (preferred), heat canola oil over medium heat. Once oil appears to shimmer, add onion and stir-fry until it turns deep caramel brown in color, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once lentils and rice are cooked and porridge-like in consistency, stir in onion and serve warm.
Nutritional info per serving 2/3 cup (150 mL)
- Calories 190
- Protein 6 g
- Total fat 5 g
Saturated fat 0.5
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 26 g
Fibre 6 g
Sugars 2 g
Added sugar 0 g
- Sodium 0 mg
- Potassium 250 mg