8 servings / 30 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 10 min
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground cumin and coriander
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 cups (1 L) salad greens
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tahini
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) warm water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh mint or cilantro
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Cook shallot, garlic, curry powder, cumin and coriander for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mash lentils until smooth. Stir in shallot mixture, cilantro and egg until combined. Stir in breadcrumbs. Divide into 8 oval shapes onto soaked skewers. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Place skewers in grill pan set over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, turning once or until heated through and grilled marked.
- Place onto salad greens and drizzle with tahini sauce.
Tahini sauce: Whisk together tahini and water until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice, garlic and mint; set aside.
Nutritional info per serving ( 2 skewers with salad and sauce)
- Calories 250
- Protein 13 g
- Total fat 8 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 50 mg
- Carbohydrates 35 g
Fibre 8 g
Sugars 2 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 530 mg
- Potassium 730 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. © 2018 Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.