12 servings / 1 hour 50 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 1 hour 40 min
- 1 1/2 tbsp (20 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped, canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried savory
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced medium or hot salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) raw brown basmati rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) green lentils
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 1/2 (1.125 L) cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (250 mL) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF (180 ºC). Lightly spray 3-quart (3.4 L) casserole with canola oil cooking spray and set aside.
- In large soup pot, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, reduce heat to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, chipotle peppers, oregano, savory and black pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Stir in salsa and deglaze pan.
- Add brown rice, lentils, kidney beans, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for about 1¼ -1½ hours or until rice and lentils are tender and no water remains. Stir twice during baking, replacing foil before returning to oven. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Remove from oven, remove bay leaf and sprinkle with cheese. Leave foil off and return to oven for 3-4 minutes to melt cheese.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 12)
- Calories 270
- Protein 14 g
- Total fat 4 g
Saturated fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 47 g
Fibre 13 g
Sugars 3 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 280 mg
- Potassium 347 mg