12 servings / 2 hr 30 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 2 hr 15 min
- 2 1/2 lb (1.1 kg) outside round beef roast
- 2 tsp (10 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 oz (30 g) mixed dried wild mushrooms
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) whole black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 tbsp (35 mL) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 275 ºF (140 ºC). Lightly spray 9 x 9-inch (22 x 22 cm) metal roasting pan with canola oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Pat roast dry. Cover entire roast with ground black pepper and shake off excess. Place in prepared pan and roast in preheated oven for 1 1/4-1 3/4 hours or until internal temperature registers 140 ºF (60 ºC) with instant-read thermometer. Remove from oven and tent loosely with foil.
- During last 30 minutes of cooking, prepare sauce. In medium saucepan, bring beef broth and water to a boil. Remove from heat and add mushrooms, covering them well with broth mixture. Let set at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften. Drain mushrooms, reserving broth. Coarsely chop mushrooms.
- In large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes or until soft; do not brown. Add garlic, peppercorns, Dijon mustard and reserved chopped mushrooms and cook for another minute. Add flour and cook again for 1 minute. Whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer meat to cutting board and slice thin. Cover with sauce and serve.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cup / 250 mL)
- Calories 210
- Protein 27 g
- Total fat 9 g
Saturated fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 75 mg
- Carbohydrates 4 g
Fibre 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 60 mg
- Potassium 298 mg