4 servings / 30 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 15 min
These hearty sandwiches can be made ahead and packed for a road trip to the cottage or frozen to enjoy later in the week. If you are backpacking simply freeze them and then they will thaw in time for you to warm them through on the campfire. With all that fresh air you will work up a healthy appetite.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each thyme, chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried oregano and paprika
- 8 oz (227 g) outside round cutlets, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) no salt added beef broth
- 4 small round or oval whole wheat buns, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded light cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, pepper, garlic, thyme, chili powder, oregano and paprika, stirring for about 10 minutes or until softened and starting to brown.
- Stir in beef and broth and cook for about 5 minutes or until hint of pink remains in beef. Set aside to cool.
- Place cheese on bottom of buns. Divide meat mixture among buns. Wrap each sandwich well in parchment paper and overwrap in foil. Place in resealable bag and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 week.
- Remove from bag and place on low grill or campfire to heat through to enjoy.
Tip: If you want to enjoy this at home you can omit the bread and cheese and simply serve it over rice.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 323
- Protein 22 g
- Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
- Carbohydrates 39 g
Fibre 6 g
Total sugars 11 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 422 mg
- Potassium 519 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2015.