6 servings / About 2 hr
Prep 1-2 hr / Cook 6 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tequila (or omit if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder or ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lime zest, minced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) medium shrimp
- bamboo skewers soaked in water overnight
- In non-reactive bowl (plastic or glass), combine all ingredients except for shrimp.
- In heavy, resealable plastic bag, place marinade and shrimp, turning bag over a few times and refrigerate about 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove shrimp, discard marinade and skewer.
- Place on hot grill and barbecue for 5 to 6 minutes, turning over, or until they are opaque and tender.
Tips: Use the freshest chili powder as possible as its aroma decreases with age. Shrimp may be grilled under a broiler instead of on the barbecue
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 113
- Protein 16 g
- Total fat 3 g
Saturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 143 mg
- Carbohydrates 2 g
Fibre 0 g
Total sugars 0 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 546 mg
- Potassium 138 mg