6 servings / 40 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 25 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups (500 mL)1 or 2% milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 12 oz (375 g) boneless skinless salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each chopped fresh parsley and basil
- 1 lb (500 g) penne pasta
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and cook, stirring for about 8 minutes or until softened and starting to become golden. Stir in flour and hot pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and broth and cook, stirring for about 8 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in tomato paste.
- Add salmon; cover and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until salmon starts to flake. Stir in parsley and basil.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and return to pot.
- Pour leek and salmon sauce over pasta and toss to coat well. Salmon will break up into smaller pieces as it coats pasta.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 500
- Protein 25 g
- Total fat 13 g
Saturated fat 3 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
- Carbohydrates 71 g
Fibre 3 g
Sugars 9 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 190 mg
- Potassium 650 mg