4 servings / 15 mins
Prep 5 min / Cook 10 min
For a flavour twist, use different peppers or other greens like arugula or kale.
- 1 container (5 oz/142 g) baby spinach, washed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) water or skim milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- In an ovenproof 10 inch (25 cm) nonstick skillet, cook spinach with water that is still clinging to leaves, over medium heat stirring for about 2 minutes or until wilted. Add pepper, garlic and hot pepper flakes; stir to combine. Add oil and cook for 3 minutes or until softened.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, water and cheese. Pour into skillet, stirring to combine with spinach. Cook lifting edge with rubber spatula, letting runny egg go to the bottom. Let cook, until edge is starting to set.
- Place skillet about 4 inches (10 cm) under broiler for about 3 minutes or until top is set and light golden.
- If your skillet has a plastic or wooden handle, make it ovenproof by wrapping the handle with foil before placing in the oven.
- Looking for a lunch idea in a snap? Cut frittata into larger squares and tuck into whole grain pita halves or roll into whole grain tortilla.
- Add more flavour by serving frittata with sodium reduced pasta sauce or salsa.
Nutritional info per serving (One 2.5 in (5 cm) slice)
- Calories 144
- Protein 10 g
- Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 235 mg
- Carbohydrates 4 g
Fibre 1 g
Sugar 2 g
Added sugar 0 g
- Sodium 150 mg
- Potassium 298 mg