10-12 muffins / 35 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 15 min
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour with added bran (nutri flour)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) wheat germ or ground flax
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced cored apples
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light shredded old cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together maple syrup, egg, oil and applesauce.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Stir into egg mixture and stir gently. Add apples and cheese and stir to combine.
- Divide batter into greased or paper lined muffin tins. Bake in 375° F (190° C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
Tip: Make smaller muffins for smaller children to pack in their lunches as a full size muffin can usually be too much for them to eat in their snack time. Use a mini muffin tin and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Nutritional info per serving (1 muffin)
- Calories 153
- Protein 4 g
- Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
- Carbohydrates 22 g
Fibre 2 g
Total sugars 10 g
Added sugars 6 g
- Sodium 128 mg
- Potassium 88 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2016.