6 servings / 1 hour 15 min
Prep 25 min / Cook 50 min
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 8 oz (250 g) extra lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Italian seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 cups (750 mL) sodium-reduced chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 green onion, sliced or 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato basil pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side down on parchment or foil lined baking pan and prick skin all over with a fork. Roast in 375 F (190 C) oven for about 45 minutes or until very tender when pierced with knife; set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together turkey, breadcrumbs and egg until firm. Using heaping teaspoonful roll into small balls; set aside.
- In saucepan, bring broth, onion and garlic to simmer and add meat balls. Cook, stirring gently for 5 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Stir in pasta sauce and heat through.
- Using fork, scrape squash out of skin into long strands and toss with cheese. Divide among shallow bowls and ladle meat balls and broth over top to serve.
Nutritional info per serving ( 1 of 6 )
- Calories 150
- Protein 12 g
- Total fat 6 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 65 mg
- Carbohydrates 13 g
Fibre 2 g
Sugars 5 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 580 mg
- Potassium 360 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2017.