6 servings / 35 min
Prep 5 min / Cook 30 min
Seasonal grilled asparagus adds colour and texture to this unique salad. Look for pot barley in your grocery store. It needs to cook a bit longer but adds a wonderful chewiness to this salad.
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot barley
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chopped chicken
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, bring barley, broth, garlic and thyme to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until tender but still slightly chewy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, toss oil with asparagus and place on greased grill over medium high heat for about 8 minutes or until tender crisp. Remove to cutting board and chop into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Add to barley along with chicken and parsley; stir to combine.
Tip: This is a great place to use leftover roast or grilled chicken, pork or steak. For a new taste combination stir in grilled salmon instead of the chicken.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 239
- Protein 17 g
- Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
- Carbohydrates 30 g
Fibre 7 g
Sugars 2 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 241 mg
- Potassium 301 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2016.