Muesli muffins with almonds and cranberries
Whole grains, cranberries and almonds jack up the nutrient power in these muffins compared to common, cake-like ones.
- canola cooking spray
- 1 cup (250 mL) white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 1 (4 oz/114 mL) jar pear purée baby food
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Lightly spray 12-cup, non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, flaxseed, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In small bowl, combine almonds, 1/4 cup (50 mL) oats and 1/4 cup (50 mL) cranberries and set aside. Stir remaining oats and cranberries into flour mixture until well blended.
- In medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, canola oil, pear purée, egg and almond extract. Stir yogurt mixture into flour mixture until just blended. Do not overmix.
- Spoon equal amounts of batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle evenly with reserved almond mixture. Bake 18 to 20 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan; serve warm or let cool to room temperature.
Nutritional info per serving : 1 muffin
- Calories 240
- Protein 6 g
- Total Fat 9 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 15 mg
- Carbohydrates 34 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 18 g
- Added sugar 10 g
- Sodium 15 mg
- Potassium 73 mg