6 servings / 1 hour 5 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 50 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- ¾ cup (175 mL) minced onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes, (or to taste)
- 1 (19 oz / 540 mL) can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (19 oz / 540 mL) can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup (50 mL) grated cheddar cheese
- In large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes and stir for 2 minutes. If you like it extra spicy, add more red pepper flakes to taste.
- Add black beans and tomatoes. Stir. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-30 minutes until thickened to desired texture. While mixture cooks, preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Lightly brush 6 ramekins (placed on a baking sheet) or one 2 quart (2.25 L) casserole dish with canola oil or cooking oil spray. Mash bean mixture well and evenly divide amongst the dishes. Make a shallow hole in the middle of each one.
- Carefully crack one egg on top of each dish. Sprinkle lightly with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until egg is cooked to desired doneness.
Nutritional info per serving (1 egg and ¾ cup (175 mL) bean mixture)
- Calories 190
- Protein 12 g
- Total fat 9 g
Saturated fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 190 mg
- Carbohydrates 19 g
Fibre 5 g
Sugars 5 g
Added sugar 0 g
- Sodium 300 mg
- Potassium 356 mg