4 servings / 2 hours
Prep 15 min / Cook 1 hour 45 min
- 1 lb (454 g) stewing beef (cut into about 1 inch/2.5 cm cubes) or 2 cans (19 oz/540 mL) of no salt added chickpeas, drained, and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
- 1 bag (8 oz/227 g) spinach, washed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sodium reduced beef broth or 2 cups (500ml) of sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 1 lb (454 g) potatoes (about 4 small), peeled and cubed
- Sprinkle beef with pepper.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat; brown beef, if using, in batches. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low; add onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeño and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Return beef and any juices to saucepan or add chickpeas; add cumin, coriander, and lemon juice.
- Add spinach, stir to coat well. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until beef or chickpeas are tender, stirring often.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook potatoes for about 10 minutes, or until tender; drain well. Add to cooked beef or chickpea mixture; cover and cook, stirring twice for about 15 minutes for flavours to absorb.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 380
- Protein 37 g
- Total fat 12 g
- Saturated fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 80 mg
- Carbohydrates 28 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 230 mg
- Potassium 950 mg