12 servings / 45 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 25 min
This combination of grains makes an intriguing presentation that's loaded with fibre and protein.
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried lentils, rinsed and sorted for stones and shriveled lentils
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) medium bulgur
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) quinoa
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped red onion
- zest of 2 large lemons
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh mint or Italian parsley
- 3 oz (90 g) hard or semi-soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 12 large romaine lettuce leaves
- In a large saucepan, bring water and lentils to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in bulgur, quinoa and rice. Cover and cook for 12-13 minutes, or until lentils are just tender. Drain in a fine mesh sieve. Run under cold water to cool quickly. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine bell pepper, onion, lemon zest and juice, canola oil and pepper flakes. Stir until well blended.
- Stir in drained lentil mixture and mint. Toss gently until well blended. Gently fold in goat cheese and serve on lettuce leaves.
Nutritional info per serving (1/2 cup and one lettuce leaf)
- Calories 130
- Protein 4 g
- Total fat 7 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
- Carbohydrates 12 g
Fibre 3 g
Sugars 1 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 40 mg
- Potassium 150 mg