6 servings / 30 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 15 min
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 each carrot and stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 2 yellow fleshed potatoes (about 12 oz/375 g), peeled and chopped
- 1 container (5 oz/142 g) baby kale or kale blend
- 6 cups (1.5 L) no salt added beef broth
- 1 pkg (226 g) tofu spaghetti shaped noodles, drained
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and hot pepper flakes for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add potatoes, kale and broth. Bring to boil.
- Rinse tofu noodles well under hot water and drain; add to pot. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with cheese, if using.
Tip: Look for tofu spaghetti shaped noodles where you find other tofu products in stores. If it is unavailable you can substitute 1/2 a 350 g pkg of extra firm tofu diced.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 110
- Protein 4 g
- Total fat 2 g
Saturated fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 17 g
Fibre 3 g
Sugars 4 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 115 mg
- Potassium 520 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2017.