5 servings / 55 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 40 min
- 1 large head of garlic
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh dill or 10 mL (2 tsp) dried dill
- 1 L (4 cups) mixed spring greens
- 20 mL (4 tsp) canola oil
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Cut top stem end off heads of garlic to expose cloves. Wrap in foil and roast in 200°C (400°F) oven for about 40 minutes or until very soft. Let cool slightly.
- In bowl, combine peas, tomato, onions and dill. Squeeze garlic cloves out into pea mixture and discard skins. Stir together to combine. Divide greens onto 4 plates and top with pea mixture.
- In small bowl, whisk together oil and lemon juice and spoon some over each salad. Sprinkle with pepper, if using.
Tip: For a stronger garlic flavour, roast another head of garlic and add it to the salad.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 5)
- Calories: 159
- Protein: 7 g
- Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 23 g
Fibre: 6 g
Sugars: 3 g
Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 222 mg
- Potassium: 569 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.