4 servings / 40 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 30 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quick-cooking barley
- 1 1/2 tbsp (20 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) diced onion
- 4 oz (125 g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir in barley, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 10 -12 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt skillet to coat bottom evenly; add onions, and cook 6 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook 4 minutes or until tender, using two utensils to toss. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add spinach, oregano and undrained barley. Toss well to blend. Drizzle remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil evenly over all and toss gently until just coated.
Tip: Do not drain the barley. The small amount of liquid that remains will add moisture to the dish without affecting the flavours.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cup / 250 mL)
- Calories 160
- Protein 5 g
- Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 22 g
Fibre 5 g
Sugars 2 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 25 mg
- Potassium 138 mg