2 cups / 13 min
Prep 8 min / Cook 5 min
- 1/2 oz (15 g) dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) warm water
- 1 1/2 tbsp (20 mL) canola oil
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) white whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Soak mushrooms in warm water for 5 minutes.
- In 2 quart saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour until blended and continue stirring until roux is lightly browned and develops nutty aroma.
- Whisk in broth and onion powder. Bring to a gentle boil until just thickened, stirring. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with pepper. Add softened mushrooms and any soaking liquid.
- Purée gravy in food processor or food mill. Return mixture to saucepan. Heat just to a simmer.
Nutritional info per serving (1/4 cup (50 mL)
- Calories 45
- Protein 1 g
- Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 4 g
Fibre 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Added Sugar 0 g
- Sodium 15 mg
- Potassium 10 mg