10 servings / 23 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 8 min
We think of serving gazpacho in summertime, but don’t forget about the great local hot house vegetables. This combination will surely take you away from those cold winter’s nights!
- 1 pkg (375 g) whole wheat rotini pasta
- 4 hot house tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 hot house English cucumber, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) diced sweet onion
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled light feta cheese
- In a pot of boiling water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and rinse with cold water; drain again. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, garlic, onion, cilantro, basil, vinegar and hot pepper sauce. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and feta; toss to combine. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: To make this a meal, add leftover chicken or steak. Have hard cooked eggs available in the fridge and add them to the salad to make a heartier vegetarian version for lunch.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 10)
- Calories 81
- Protein 4 g
- Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
- Carbohydrates 14 g
Fibre 2 g
Total sugars 2 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 104 mg
- Potassium 208 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2015.