8 servings / 1 hr 5 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 50 min
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 package (8 oz/250 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise, and cut into thin strips
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- In saucepan, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Add barley and toast 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth to barley. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until barley is tender, about 40-45 minutes. Drain off excess broth. Cover to keep barley warm.
- Meanwhile, in large frying pan, heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Add onion and sauté about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add red pepper, mushrooms and garlic and sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add zucchini, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and continue to cook about 4-5 minutes longer. Season with pepper. Serve over barley.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 8)
- Calories: 90
- Protein: 2 g
- Total Fat: 3.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
Fibre: 2 g
Sugars: 5 g
Added sugars 2 g
- Sodium: 75 mg
- Potassium: 158 mg