6 servings/50 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 35 min
Barley’s chewy texture and the nuttiness of wild rice are sure to make this salad a family fave. This is a colourful and healthy salad to pack for lunch or a picnic.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each pot barley and wild rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped cooked turkey or chicken (about 180 g/6 oz)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) each chopped fresh parsley and chives
- In a saucepan, toast barley and wild rice over medium heat, stirring for 3 minutes. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until barley and rice are tender but still chewy and firm. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled barley-rice mixture with bell pepper, zucchini and tomato.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, oil, garlic and pepper. Drizzle over top of barley-rice mixture and stir to coat. Stir in turkey, parsley and chives until well distributed.
- Go for pot barley, which is a whole grain, instead of pearl barley.
- This salad is equally delicious warm or cold. Perfect for making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to two days.
- Leave out the turkey for a vegetarian version. You can replace it with 1 can (19 oz/)540 mL) drained and rinsed lentils, chickpeas or kidney beans.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 194
- Protein 12 g
- Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26 mg
- Carbohydrates 29 g
Fibre 5 g
- Sodium 174 mg
- Potassium 345 mg