12 servings / 5 hours 45 min
Prep 45 min / Cook 5 hours
- 1 medium onion, cut in 8 wedges
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Dijon mustard
- grated rind and juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh dill weed or 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried dill weed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Cayenne pepper
- 6 lb (2.7 kg) frozen bone-in turkey breast, thawed
- In slow cooker, place onions.
- In small bowl, whisk together mustard, lemon rind and juice, canola oil, dill weed, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper and Cayenne pepper.
- Place turkey on clean work surface. Carefully loosen skin from breast by inserting fingers and gently pushing between skin and meat. Place dill mixture under skin and over breast meat, being careful not to tear skin. Rub any remaining dill mixture evenly over turkey breast. Place turkey in slow cooker, breast side up. Cover and cook on high setting 1 hour. Reduce heat to low setting and continue cooking 4 hours until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast registers 165 °F (75 °C).
- Remove turkey, place on cutting board and let stand 20 minutes before carefully removing skin (keeping seasonings on breast), discarding skin and slicing turkey.
- Meanwhile, remove onions with slotted spoon and discard. Pour pan drippings into 2 cups (500 mL) measuring cup, place in freezer for 15 minutes to cool slightly. Pour pan drippings in quart-size (1.13 L), resealable plastic bag. Place bag over medium bowl, angle bag to form a “pastry bag” and allow fat to rise to top. Snip pointed end and allow drippings to flow into bowl, stopping flow before layer of fat flows through. Discard fat. Serve pan juices with sliced turkey. If necessary, reheat juices by placing in small saucepan and bring just to boil over medium high heat.
Nutritional info per serving
Serving size: 3 1/2 oz (105 mL) cooked turkey and 2 tbsp (25 mL) au jus
- Calories 370
- Protein 75 g
- Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 205 mg
- Carbohydrates 2 g
Fibre 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 220 mg
- Potassium 750 mg