4 servings / 30 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 20 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 4 250 g (8 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted or sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried
- Optional garnish: Chopped fresh parsley or basil.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and place rack in centre of oven.
- Place chicken on a cutting board. Sprinkle with half the flour and black pepper.
- Place a 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet (or any ovenproof skillet) over medium-high heat. Add canola oil. When hot, add chicken, flour-side down. Sprinkle top of chicken with remaining flour and black pepper. Cook chicken on each side for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in chicken stock, lemon juice, lemon zest and thyme. Remove from heat and transfer skillet to oven.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, until a meat thermometer registers 165°F (74°C) in thickest part of breast. Remove from oven and top with chopped parsley, if desired. Serve with steamed brown rice, wild rice, quinoa or barley and steamed vegetables or a green salad.
Nutritional info per serving (8 oz (250 g) chicken)
- Calories 290
- Protein 46 g
- Total fat 9 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Cholesterol 125 mg
- Carbohydrates 3 g
Fibre 0 g
Sugars 1 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 125 mg
- Potassium 407 mg