6 servings / 22 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 12 min
These tangy skewers are perfect for a summer barbecue.
- 3 medium limes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) ground allspice
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- six 12-inch metal or bamboo skewers
- 12 chicken tenders, (1 1/2 lbs/750 g total), cut into thirds (36 pieces)
- 2 medium yellow or red onions (8 oz / 250 g total), quartered and layers separated (36 layers)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces (36 pieces)
- Canola oil cooking spray
- In a small bowl, squeeze juice from two limes. Cut remaining lime into 6 six wedges and reserve. Add canola oil, garlic, ginger, allspice, thyme, and cayenne pepper to lime juice. Whisk together. Place chicken in large, resealable plastic bag with half of marinade mixture. Marinate chicken in refrigerator overnight or for at least 8 hours, turning occasionally
- Remove chicken from bag, discarding leftover marinade. Alternating chicken and vegetables, thread 6 six skewers, beginning and ending with chicken pieces.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place skewers on grill rack already coated with canola oil cooking spray. Cook 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center, turning frequently. Be careful not to overcook. Remove from grill, place on serving platter and spoon remaining reserved marinade over all. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 170
- Protein 19 g
- Total Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 50 mg
- Carbohydrates 8 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Added sugar 0 g
- Sodium 50 mg
- Potassium 333 mg