5 servings / 45 mins
Prep 10 min / Cook 35 min
These delicious drumsticks are coated in heavenly homemade barbecue sauce. Sweetened with Medjool dates, this is guaranteed to be your go-to sauce. Use it with grilled meats for that everlasting taste of summer. Turn up the heat factor if you like things extra spicy.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato passata
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 10 skinless chicken drumsticks (about 1 kg/2 lbs)
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic, thyme, chili powder and pepper for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in tomato passata, dates, vinegar, Worcestershire and hot pepper sauce and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Scrape into blender and purée until smooth. Makes about 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) of sauce.
- Place drumsticks on greased grill over medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn and grill for 5 minutes more. Start brushing with about 1 cup (250 mL) of sauce, turning often and basting for about more 10 minutes*.
- Serve with some of the remaining sauce, if desired. Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce for up to 2 weeks.
- * Use a digital food thermometer to check that chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- You can use the same amount of skinless, bone-in chicken thighs instead of drumsticks.
- Food safety move: measure out 1 cup (250 mL) of the sauce for basting the chicken. Cover and save the rest in the fridge for later.
Nutritional info per serving (2 drumsticks)
- Calories: 229
- Protein: 27 g
- Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 97 mg
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
Sugar: 10 g
Fibre: 2 g
- Sodium: 182 mg
- Potassium: 491 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2014.